Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

Silhouette

Silhouette can be defined as an outline that appears dark against a light background. A drawing consisting of the outline of something, filled in with a solid colour.
The most common example is our shadow.

After watching the movies. We are require to do a silhouette comic or scenery,
I did a scenery that tells a simple story.

It was a scenario whereby everyone was waiting on a queue buying the latest product at Apple store. Things that could happen when people are on a queue.

So here is my final result:

I used cut & paste method for my figure, then I use different thickness of artline pen to draw the silhouette at my background and also giving some scene distance. I keep my background simple so that my figure will appear better. Have a good contrast between black and white is important. Therefore, the paper I pick was the whitest that I could find in the store.

The queue might be senseless.  For example, camping, aliens, cartoon character, witch, superhero and so on on the queue? That are the things that make the whole idea more interesting. Don't you think so.
Beside that, I didn't pick to draw the silhouette character. Instate I pick to do cut out. (I still not that good in drawing, so I google each character and draw it on the black paper.)
A few reason I did that:
  1. Is neat
  2. If anything went wrong, I can just change the only character without redoing the entire thing
  3. After I cutting out the character, I can arrange & rearrange an interesting story for each and everyone of the character. If I draw it one to another, I might not have a clue on the next character until the very end of it.
  4. Besides, is not easy to render a solid and even silhouette using colour pencil or marker. So picking a good black paper with the contrast to white will be the best out of the best choice I made.

Next is the background. Honestly!!! The background was my last last minute work. I did it two hours before I showed to my lecturer. Before I decided to do the line silhouette. I was planning to do add the countries shapes, also with paper cut-outs. To show that Apples are selling it at all those country. In the end I changed my mind. Because it will be too boring. So I decided to put scenery. Of course I think carefully. I don't want my scenery over take my character. Therefore I decided to used different thickness of lines to create the silhouette.

At first, I didn't know what to draw, so I started with the Disney castle. Then to a short part of the great wall of China. Slowly move to city. Hehe.. So that's about it.

In this scenario, I was inspired by one of the silhouette artist, Kara Walker. I love the way she told her story although the expression can't be seen. I love one of he art work.

url.jpg
I tells me that everything has a price to pay.
I not sure how to tell you the story, but I know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment